Saturday, April 18, 2009

An Epic Night @ The Hotel Cafe


The Attic and his one man entourage stormed the streets of Hollywood last night in search of some great music. Our search culminated with an awesome band called The Quiet. The Quiet had one of the most entertaining performances I have seen at this particular venue. Brendon Ryan the lead vocalist and pianist, made sure to get this eclectic Hollywood crowd juiced up and jiving together; all the while maintaining a very comedic vibe about himself. Matt Ferrone ripped the stage with his stunning guitar skills, while the Kaptain brothers (Jeff & Dave) left their hearts on the stage playing the rhythm guitar and bass respectively. To round out this jovial batch was The Quiet's new drummer Dana Deignan, who helped fill this intimate venue with great percussion.

Now that you know who The Quiet are onto describing how last night was EPIC. When I say Epic I mean a night filled with its quintessential highs and lows, for lack of a better euphemism. For starters, Seb and I were very fortunate to meet Veronica; a long time (3 years to be exact) fan of The Quiet. Veronica would be a life saver by providing us with a pic of Seb & I with 3 members from the awesome Quiet band. On a side note the I-phone is definitely clutch seeing that she took the pic above with hers; since my camera died earlier that night. Anyways the Hollywood Attic wants to extend some South Central Dap lol to Veronica for being so damn clutch :) Oh and enjoy my first video of the night below.



Ironically my graduating from a little known school in a smog congested city aka UC Riverside was actually a bonding point last night. Majority of The Quiet are from Riverside. Seb and I found this out while conversing with the lead guitarist Matt (who had a brief 2 year stint at UCR). This provided us with some hilarious Riversidian conversations. Turns out the Quiet use to perform at Tremers (spelling?) and anyone from Riverside knows that this is a rough part of town. I'm glad to see they have come up in the world because these guys are talented. It was awesome sharing our experiences of the 90-NASTY (copyrighted by Veronica I'm not that creative to come up with such a phrase haha) with this great group of guys. These moments all helped make last night super memorable in a good way. Before I jump to how the night turned into a clip straight out of a horror movie gone wrong, enjoy a song from last nights The Quiet performance.



An EPIC night could not be EPIC without moments of vagary. To preface and add a note of advice, never drink a bottle of Sailor Jerry's between yourself and another light weight haha. That was mistake number 1. To begin the night Seb and I murdered a bottler of Sailor Jerry's, needless to say we were pretty much gone the rest of the night. After all the highs from meeting everyone throughout the night comes a huge blow to my ego and wallet......I had lost my keys during my highly intoxicated state. Now a new timorous feeling was creeping in, thus ruining what had already been an amazing night. Naturally when you lose your keys you backtrack and hope to find them during your peripatetic state, which is what Seb and I did. This included asking the bartenders at the Hotel Cafe whom displayed their solicitous manner by actually searching the venue for them. Thanks for that. Fast forward 30mins to an hour later, Seb and I finally throw in the towel. We go back to my car anticipating making that AAA phone call to have my car towed. At the last possible second something told me to ask the parking attendant if anyone had found keys. To my and Seb's surprise someone turned in my car keys to him. Now I'm not one to be religious but the moment he handed me my long lost keys was frankly cause for me to bow down and say "Thank You Jesus". He was promptly rewarded with a 10 spot courtesy of Seb.

Overall last night was a night to be remembered. It was definitely one of those Hollywood nights lol that will go down in infamy. Hope you enjoyed the post and feel free to drop me some comments I'm lonely up here in the Attic. Until the next post. Attic Out!!!

8 comments:

  1. dude, all i can say is: wtf? how come i've never partied this hard with you and Seb!? anyway, it's shit like this that i regret missing ... these guys were from R-side??? unbelievable! they seem like chill cats ... sick night (aside from the misery towards the end hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey rob nice post. if you think losing your keys is bad, try losing your wallet, twice, in the same season, haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I've loved The Quiet since before they were even The Quiet, and this was a great, high-energy show. Thanks for the recap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob / Seb: It was great meeting you guys the other night. And I'm super glad you enjoyed the show. Rob – definitely a great find on your part!

    I've been following the Quiet for a while now and I can honestly say that their music and sound only keeps getting better. They've recently started playing some new tunes (stuff not found on their Greatest Hits album), and I'm really impressed. The songs are undeniably catch, but not in that whorish-pop sort of way. You want to sing along and you don’t feel bad about yourself at the end. These guys are super talented, and the fact that their following is growing is no accident.

    I'd definitely encourage anyone who loves music to check out the Quiet while they’re still playing small venues like the Hotel CafĂ© and tickets are only $10 a pop!!! Their current CD is also positively worth checking out. I think CDs sold at Quiet shows for like 5 bucks at merch booths. What a freakin’ bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog! I can one-up Veronica in that I'm MARRIED to a band member (I believe super-fandom is written into a by-line of our marriage contract), although I too can vouch for the guys continually growing as artists, wading through LA's flooded music scene. For your own interest, check out The Quiet's blog: http://thequietband.blogspot.com (where they already blogged about your blog ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry I missed the show! It sounds like another great one. I too am a long-time fan (since May of 2005) and I completely agree: The Quiet has only gotten better through the years!

    -RMC

    ReplyDelete
  7. How irresponsible of you. You endangered yourself and others' lives while driving drunk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No one was driving drunk that night. We stayed in Hollywood until like 2-3am when we both had initially gotten there around 7pm and didn't leave until we were both safe to drive but I appreciate the comment and your concern. I am a little more responsible than that.

    ReplyDelete